Clemson Removes John C. Calhoun's Name from Honors College, Asks to Rename Tillman Hall
Vice President Calhoun was a slave owner and secessionist whose plantation became Clemson University; Tillman was a governor and white supremacist whose name adorns Clemson's most iconic building.
READ: Clemson Removes John C. Calhoun's Name from Honors College, Asks to Rename Tillman Hall
- Acknowledge Clemson's role in systemic racism and denounce racism
- Require diversity education for students and employees
- Establish and maintain a "safe space for students of color"
- Create a zero-tolerance policy for student groups who engage in discriminatory practices or commit hate crimes
- Develop long-term goals to actively assist in underrepresented communities on campus